The Town of Troutville was established in 1956 and is located in Botetourt County, Virginia. In 1881, this area had no name. The railroad came through and a station was built. There were three houses then which were occupied by John, Jim and George Trout - so the area was called Troutsville. It became an important shipping center in the 1890's.
In 1895, Troutville was a thriving town with a very active shipping point, good farming, busy canneries, packing houses and factories.
The name of the town was later changed to Troutville.